Wednesday 5 October 2011

Vintage Wallpaper









One of my earliest memories of wallpaper was a wall at my grandparents house that was a columned  burnt orange with a raised silk gold strip down the middle. I remember running my hands over it thinking that it was rough but had that lovely soft silky stripe. Another wallpaper memory was that of one of my dearest friends family home. They were an affluent family heavily involved in the horse racing industry. Their house was large and a wonderful party home. In the kitchen area there was a green, silver and white fern wallpaper that was very bold. For a long time I have thought both of these wallpapers as harsh reminders of the bad taste era of the 70's. What I am struggling with is that now they seem so in line with a lot of the current wallpaper trends.

 It is a sign of my age that I am able to witness the revival of the retro colours of the 70's. The use of bold pinks, oranges and greens really liven the walls of any house. I marvel at how clever people are with using bold colours but with the latest trend in fashion being colour blocking it seems clear that bold colours are far more forgiving when they are placed with an opposing colour. Maybe I shouldn't be so scared of the use of bold colour rather I should embrace it and its simplicity. It is maybe appropriate that in amongst all the gloom of world economies etc that we surround ourselves with such happy and inspirational colours that will even bring a small amount of cheer to a frustrated stockbroker.

No comments:

Post a Comment